How to Free Up Space on Mac and Manage Mac Storage? Check These Useful Tips
It all started with exciting and satisfied when we bought a new Mac because it's fast operation speed and adequate storage. So you download plenty of Apps, keep all your favorite movies and music, setting your preferences, save all you liked pictures and videos...etc. But it won't be long before you start to suffer from insufficient storage and slow running speeds. So how to manage and release Mac storage space to make Mac run faster becomes crucial.
How to check the storage on Mac?
First, you need to know what's taking up your storage. You can check it by these two steps:
1.Click the Apple icon and choose About This Mac.
2.Then click the Storage tab.
The storage bar will show you clearly how much space is being taken up by the System, Applications, Documents, Music Creation, and more. It will also display available space.
How to manage storage on Mac?
On the right top of the storage bar, you will see a Manage button. Click it you will find Mac provides four options for optimizing storage and detailed storage items and sizes.
1. Store in iCloud: You can store files and pictures in iCloud, and only need to download it online when you need them.
2. Optimize Storage: Choose to Optimize will automatically remove iTunes movies and TV shows that you've already watched from your Mac.
3. Empty Trash Automatically: Turn on Empty Trash Automatically will permanently deletes files that have been in the Trash for more than 30 days.
4. Reduce Clutter: It helps identify large files and files you might no longer need and you can choose to delete it to free up storage. All purchased files from the Mac App Store, iBooks Store, or iTunes Store, you are able to download it again.
How to free up storage on Mac manually?
Deleting unnecessary items always the most effective way to free up more storage. The general idea is to cleanup Mac:
You can check out the detailed approach in our corresponding articles. The other method sounds simple but it’s exhausting and time-consuming, it may take you hours or days. There are only three steps:
1. Open Finder.
2. Go through every folder and files.
3. Select to delete one by one.
Remember to empty the Trash in the end, or the deleted files may store in the trash can and it still occupied your storage.
1. Right-click Trash in the Dock.
2. Select Empty Trash.
3. Click Empty Trash.
Freeing up Mac Storage effectively with MacBooster
To quickly and completely free up your storage, you need a professional and secure cleanup software - MacBooster. Published by IObit, world's top system utility and security software provider since 2004, MacBooster comes with the powerful cleanup and optimize features. It is pretty easy to use and cleans up over 20 types of junk files on Mac with just one click. Here is how you can do it with MacBooster: