How to Fix macOS Catalina and iPadOS Sidecar not Working? Common Issues Troubleshooting
Apple macOS Catalina and iPadOS come out with a new feature called Sidecar, designed to let you use your iPad as a display that extends or mirrors your Mac desktop. But some users find it's hard to using Sidecar. Some errors come up when trying to get Mac and iPad connected such as "unable to connect," "device timed out," or "it is not available to you at this time". Here are some common issues troubleshooting and how to fix it.
Sidecar common issues troubleshooting
1. Check for device system
Sidecar requires a compatible Mac using macOS Catalina and a compatible iPad using iPadOS 13. Make sure that your Mac and iPad meet the Sidecar system requirements.
Mac using macOS Catalina
MacBook Pro introduced in 2016 or later
MacBook introduced in 2016 or later
MacBook Air introduced in 2018 or later
iMac introduced in 2017 or later, plus iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
Mac mini introduced in 2018 or later
Mac Pro introduced in 2019
iPad using iPadOS 13
iPad Pro: all models
iPad (6th generation) or later
iPad mini (5th generation)
iPad Air (3rd generation)
2. Check for Apple ID
Both devices must be signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID using two-factor authentication.
▪ iPad: Settings > tap Sign in to your device and enter your Apple ID and password
▪ Mac: Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Sign in and then use the same Apple ID and sign in.
3. Check for settings
Sidecar can be used with wired or wireless, to use Sidecar wirelessly, both devices must be within 10 meters (30 feet) of each other and have Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Handoff turned on. Also make sure that the iPad is not sharing its cellular connection and the Mac is not sharing its Internet connection.
▪ iPad: Settings > Bluetooth
▪ Mac: Click the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar
▪ iPad: Settings > Wi-Fi
▪ Mac: Click the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar
▪ iPad: Go to Settings > General > Handoff
▪ Mac: Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > General and check the "Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices." option.
* To use Sidecar over USB, make sure that your iPad is set to trust your Mac.
Ways to connect iPad to Mac to use Sidecar
1. Use system preference
▪ Turn your iPad and Mac on.
▪ Go to the "System Preferences" on your macOS Catalina.
▪ Select "Sidecar".
▪ Under Connect to the menu, choose your iPad.
2. Use Airplay
▪ Click AirPlay on Mac's menu bar. (if the Airplay mirror option is not showing on Mac Manu Bar, Then first Enable Airplay shortcut under the Mac preferences.)
▪ Go to the Apple logo on Mac > System Preferences > Display > Arrangement.
▪ Checkmark mirror display option.
▪ iPad will appear under the list of Connect to or AirPlay to list.
How to make the most use of Sidecar
The development of new sidecar features is a boon for Mac users, especially designers and photographers. Make it easy for them to create and modify works on two screens.
However, too many photos and files can slow down your Mac and influence your use. For your better use and experience with Mac Sidecar, we recommend you use MacBooster. MacBooster specializes in cleaning up junk files for your Mac safely, securing your Mac from any threats and boosting Mac to the peak performance. Let you make the most of Sidecar in a fluent and efficient way.